Okay, I have had this quilt on the racks for a bit. It's huge! It is so beautiful though. Jan did a beautiful job piecing this quilt top. This is a pattern by Judy Martin and can be found in her book Stellar Quilts. I used a combo of 100% cotton and an 80/20 blend batting. The top thread was Glide and the bobbin thread was So Fine.
Here is Jan's description of her quilt in her own words:
I always loved Barbara Brackman's Morris Workshop line; it is as close as I have gotten to buying any civil war type of prints. I have made two smaller quilts from this line, by then I ordered Judy Martin's book on Stellar Quilts and fell in love with this Capistrano design and felt the Morris Workshop would give me the look I wanted. I had run out of a large majority of the original fat quarters and had to search and search for stores who still had a few pieces of this line still in stock. Working as a full time teacher, I only had time on vacations to quilt so this is a quilt 3 years in the making (besides, it is huge). I was so surprised how easily the quilt went together as I was so worried that the star borders would not fit, but the pattern was perfect and I couldn't have been more pleased.
Jan asked for a little bit of feathering for the quilt and I decided to use my feather swirl for the filler design. I love how it turned out.
I wanted to use diamonds in the wide open spaces to mimic the diamonds found throughout the design.
This is the center of the quilt and I wanted it to really be a focal point of the quilting design.
These feather motifs are free motion quilted, I had the path figured out after the third triangle block I quilted.
I really love how these diamond block designs turned out. It just gives it a great dimension.
So, a close up of the feather swirl motif. It really was fun to quilt.
I quilted a double connecting curve in the diamonds and they give the quilting a soft look.
I wanted the design of the points to be showcased, so I quilted a straight line1/4 inch away from the points. Yes, I marked each line and used my straight ruler to make sure the lines were straight.
The inside triangles were quilted differently than the outside triangles. I really like how they turned out.
The points in this quilt are just amazing.
As I was taking pictures of the quilt I realized that I missed one triangle. So frustrating! But, it has been fixed. It's always a pain to add a quilt back on the racks though.
Thanks Jan for letting me work on your quilt. It was really fun.
Now on to the next project!